#Nuunhtc Part 2: The Race

29 Aug


If you missed Part 1: Check it out here!

We made it to Mt. Hood! It was getting real NOW! I was going to run Hood To Coast for the 3rd time. Also my third relay of the year. I was running on the Nuun Lemonade Team. I could not be more excited! I spent the 2 days before getting to know my teammates and the other Nuun teams!

It was finally here. HOOD.TO.COAST!

We had a reunion with the Watermelon and Cherry Limeade van 1s, packet pick up, and pictures!

Here is Mallory(watermelon), Robyn(cherry limeade), and I representing the Nuun teams as runner 2!

Van 1 really is where it is at. You get to be at the start line and you get done first. Bam!!
A: Team Lemonade
B: Kara (Watermelon Runner 2) and I
C: Start line
D: Lauren(Lemonade) and Megan(Watermelon) starting us off!! Can you see them…in the middle of the pack with Nuun singlet’s on?

Leg 2: 2pm; 5.67 miles; Downhill; 48:16; 8:30s Averageleg2
I was a little nervous about this one because of all the downhill. Robyn was my roommate in Seattle so she gave me some tips. Just go for it. Do not try to slow down or you will hurt your quads more. Lean into it. She was wearing her Hokas because of the impact so I wore mine as well!

It went really well. I just “went for it”. My first mile was 8:30 and my watch stopped. No it did not die just stopped and would not do anything. I just kept running and had no idea how I was doing! 🙂 Sometimes that is liberating!

The weather was great. Cloudy. Not too cold or hot. Perfect! Was not passed too many times but I do not think I passed anyone either. Came into the exchange strong! First leg DONE!

Finishing leg2!

Finishing leg2!

We just cruised down the mountain. Reuniting with the W and CL teams.

No HTC would be equipped without POWER ARCHES!

We met up with almost all of the vans at exchange 6.

Most of Lemonade with Julia(CL Runner5) & Mason

Most of Lemonade with Julia(CL Runner5) & Mason

We were all eager to go have dinner. We met up with W Van 1 at HUB.

We had a long wait and I was 3 hours out from running. I needed to eat but I tried to be careful with my choices.

We made it to exchange 12 without too many problems and van 2 was right on time. They changed this exchange this year. I thought it would be a logistical nightmare. It was good until the roller derby let out. The traffic picked up more but we luckily were just waiting for Holly to come in and ended up being ok! 🙂

Lauren and I in our night gear. (not the best pic but you should have seen the one with the flash!!) 🙂

Leg 14: 11:30pm; 6.08 miles; mostly flat and a few baby rollers; 58:07; 9:32s average

Now if you have been reading a while, you know that my night leg is typically my favorite leg. This one did not disappoint. I ride the dirty 30 all the time. I knew exactly what I was getting myself into.

I wanted to take the first mile as a warm up and quickly get into an uncomfortable pace. Tempo if you will. I felt great. It was lonely out there. I think only 3 guys passed me and I passed a woman. That is all I saw in the 58 minutes I was out there. By the end my quads were getting sore and I was happy the leg was almost over. I was already starting to get nervous about leg 3. Quads were shot. They aren’t joking about that downhill in leg 1!!


Exchange 17 was a lifesaver. They had pancakes and eggs. What else would you want at 4 in the morning. I knew I needed something or I was never going to get through my 3rd leg. We made it to exchange 18 and handed off to van 2! We headed to Mist to get a few winks before heading out on our 3rd leg. I fell right to sleep and slept for about 3 hours. Whoa…that is a long time in a relay.

Pre-(quick story). We thought Holly was going to arrive at 9:15. Lauren wanted to be out at the exchange at 9 and set her alarm for 8:15. In Mist there is no cell reception so you have to hope that van 2 is on time and not early/late because there is no way of knowing!!

(quick story) We are all passed out in the van. I wake up and look at my watch and quickly screamed: OH SHIT IT IS 9:10. Everyone shoots up and Lauren says no its only 7:10. FAIL! My watch accidently got switched to the dual mode screen(from when I was in San Antonio)! We of course all laughed and got a few more winks before getting up.

It ended up being ok. Jay was reading the spreadsheet wrong and we needed to be ready earlier anyway. 🙂

Leg 26: 9:30am; 5.77 miles; some rollers with a long uphill and downhill to finish; 56:02; 9:43s average

I had used my tiger tail a ton. My quads were barking! I had to just get through this! 🙂 It was go time!!

Again I wanted to just warm up and get to an uncomfortable place. I kept positive. It was a great morning. I felt pretty good except my legs were tired. Hello! That is what happens in relays. 🙂 I saw the van 2 peeps as they were driving to exchange 30. I saw my van multiple times. There was a couple vans playing music. There was a ton of people on this leg…mostly passing me. The downhill was definitely harder than the uphill!! I wore my Hokas because I thought it would help with the impact and it did! 🙂

I was excited to be done!!

Exchanging with Lisa for the last time

Exchanging with Lisa for the last time


Nuun Lemonade Team Van 1: DONE!! We were headed to the beach!

Lastly the finish line….

7 Responses to “#Nuunhtc Part 2: The Race”

  1. Joann August 29, 2013 at 10:29 AM #

    Awesome!!! hahaha Love the fun adventures of your relay!! That down hill looked cray!!! hahaha So what happened to your watch? Did it work later on the day?? Guess what happened to me… the day before my race my garmin totally went crazy and stopped working… it froze and it was shit!! So Thankfully Jenny’s bf was coming to watch the race and arrived Saturday night so he picked up a new watch for me at REI and brought it for me!! So crazy!!! I was freaking out!! An ironman without a watch is like being lost for wayy too many hours!!! LOL 🙂 Best thing about REI is you get to return the faulty one and still get a new watch for zero extra money! yayy!! 🙂

  2. marathonlar August 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM #

    Love your recap, so fun to read the stories of other van mates so see what they were thinking during their legs. And also insanely jealous I didn’t get a runner 1 pic at the top of the mountain…FAIL! The way we all popped up when you yelled “It’s 9:10” will be burned into my memory forever…I’m surprised no one pulled a muscle!

    • Kristen L August 29, 2013 at 4:36 PM #

      I agree with Lauren — loving reading the recaps. And that wakeup call when we were all dead asleep is so hilarious looking back at it. I’m glad Lauren knew what time it really was before getting all ready, so we got a bit more sleep. 🙂

  3. Luv What You Do August 29, 2013 at 8:31 PM #

    That looks like so much fun!!! I wish I had runner friends and teams to play do things like this with!

  4. Sherrie August 29, 2013 at 8:44 PM #

    Loved the misjudgment of the time in the morning! Way to freak out the van! Next time, just yell wrong times around OTHER people’s vans to freak them out!!

  5. Change of Pace September 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM #

    You seriosuly make this all sound so amazingly fun! WAy to go on your legs. I can’t imagine how trashed your legs felt after the downhill and then to run two more times!


  1. #NuunHTC Part 3: Finish/Thank yous | Triathlete Treats - August 30, 2013

    […] If you missed Part 1 or Part 2… […]

Your Sweet Thoughts:

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: